Our commitment to privacy
Jaunt Inc. ("Jaunt") knows that protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is important. Collection, use and disclosure of personal information by Jaunt is governed by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the "Act"), and any applicable provincial legislation. This Privacy Code explains what personal information is collected from users of Jaunt and how it is used. It also explains how you can ask questions, make suggestions, and complain about our privacy practices. This Privacy Code applies to personal information (see below) collected by Jaunt. Be aware that Jaunt may contain links to other websites provided and maintained exclusively by third parties not subject to this Privacy Code. Please review the privacy policies on any external websites to determine their information handling practices. Jaunt will not be liable under any circumstances for any damages whatsoever, direct or indirect, resulting from any use of Jaunt or any other third party website linked to Jaunt, whether or not we are advised of the possibility of such damages.
This Privacy Code is available to the public in electronic form via email@example.com and in paper form from Jaunt's office at 590 King Street West, Suite 400, Toronto, M5V 1M3. If you have any additional concerns or questions, we encourage you to contact us and we will address your concerns to the best of our ability. Please read this Privacy Code carefully and check back periodically as we update it from time to time. By submitting your personal information to Jaunt and by visiting Jaunt, you signify your agreement to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Code.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. Information used solely for journalistic purposes is exempted from the Act.
Jaunt is responsible for personal information under its control. Our employees are informed about the importance of privacy and receive periodic information to update them about our Privacy Code and related policies. In addition, Torstar Corporation, Jaunt's parent company, has appointed a Chief Privacy Officer to oversee personal information-handling practices of Jaunt.
Children under 18 are not eligible to use Jaunt unsupervised. If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian's permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else, over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children's online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
Jaunt collects personal information for specific, limited purposes. Information is collected by fair and lawful means.
- We collect contact information (for example, name, address, email address, and telephone numbers) when you register at Jaunt.ca. This information is used to complete your Jaunt transactions and respond to your inquires.
- Jaunt also collects credit card information as needed to process payments for Jaunt Vouchers that you buy. We do not permanently store your credit card information.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners.
- We collect purchase history and a list of promotions offered to you ("history"), in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services and to determine eligibility for our products and services.
- We collect, use and store your location history to establish your location, improve your experience and from time to time to send you information, such as offers, that are most relevant to your geographic location.
- We may also use personal contact and history information from time to time to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to Jaunt vouchers that you have purchased or about Jaunt's business. In addition, if you have given us your prior consent, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers ("Marketing Offers"). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- We keep notes and special instructions on file for advertisers and subscribers to help us fulfill your request and provide customer service.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you complain to any of our departments, we collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating and responding to you.
- If you are a freelancer, or other service provider, we collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you. We may also collect financial information (for example, banking details and credit history) from our freelancers, other service providers or advertisers, to assess credit risk, sales data to prepare royalty reports and other information to help us evaluate services.
- Purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, which are not set out in this Privacy Code, will be set out at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any additional purposes no later than the time of collection.
- We also collect certain non-personal information, like internet cookies and data for market research:
If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites and may not have the optimal experience.
- You may manage how your mobile device and mobile browser share location information with Jaunt, as well as how your mobile browser handles cookies and related technologies by adjusting your mobile device privacy and security settings. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
- You may also manage the sharing of certain personal information with us when you connect with us through a social media platform or application, such as through Facebook Connect. Please refer to the privacy settings of the social media website or application to determine how you may adjust our permissions and manage the interactivity between Jaunt and your social media account or your mobile device.
- We may place advertising or other links on our sites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. Jaunt does not control these cookies, nor is it responsible for any marketing or other use of your name by these advertisers.
- Market research: Occasionally, we ask our customers to complete market research surveys. Survey results are aggregated and shared with our advertisers, sponsors and affiliates in a manner that does not disclose personal information.
To whom does Jaunt disclose personal information, and why?
Jaunt may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- Jaunt shares some of your personal information with merchants from whom you have purchased something or from whom you have registered for something to allow them to provide the products or services to the correct individuals and to allow them to keep track of what they have provided. We provide as much information to the merchant as is necessary. Sharing this information will allow these merchants to contact you directly should they choose to do so. We will only share personal information with a merchant if you purchase something or register for something relating to that particular merchant.
- In order to provide you with Marketing Offers (see above), if you have provided consent, Jaunt may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive any further Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the procedure set out in our opt-out policy (see below).
- Jaunt may also disclose or share non-personally identifiable information with partners, advertisers, merchants and/or prospective merchants to help explain our business and the effectiveness of our business or for promotional purposes. For example, we may disclose aggregated demographic information which does not include any personally identifiable information.
- Jaunt may transfer your personal information to service providers acting on its behalf in order to perform processing and other specialized services, for example, prize fulfillment of our contests, collection of overdue accounts, product delivery, or credit card processing.
- When Jaunt needs to disclose your personal information to unrelated parties, for example, if we find you have violated any stated terms of service or conditions of purchase, or if we need to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests, other legal and regulatory authorities and other legal reasons.
- Your personal information may be processed and stored outside of the province in which you reside and/or outside of Canada by us, an affiliate or a third party service provider for the purposes set out in this Privacy Code and, under the laws of these other jurisdictions, in certain circumstances foreign courts, law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies may be entitled to access your personal information.
- Jaunt may disclose your personal information to parties connected with the contemplated or actual financing, insuring, sale, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets, including for the purposes of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship or fulfilling any records or other reporting requirements to such parties. We will require such parties to treat your personal information in accordance with this Privacy Code and to use and disclose it only for the purposes for which it was collected.
Consent and opt-out policy
In general, Jaunt seeks consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, Jaunt obtains your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- Follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive. Inform your telemarketer at the time you are called with a Marketing Offer.
- Call Client Services at (416) 687-5848 in the GTA or toll free at (855) 492-4524 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.
Jaunt maintains personal information in a combination of paper and electronic files. We take technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information. Not all Jaunt interactions require that credit card information be provided. If you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes information such as your credit card number, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure. Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or chat rooms are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users.
How to access and correct your personal information
Jaunt provides you with the means to access, update, edit or delete certain subscriber and registration information you have provided at any time by going to the appropriate page on www.Jaunt.ca, and changing or deleting such information as desired.
If you want to close your account or have other questions or requests, please contact us. While we are ready to assist you in closing your account, and removing your active profile, we cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, we are required to retain records relating to previous purchases on our site for financial reporting and compliance reasons.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
How to challenge our privacy practices
Jaunt encourages you to contact us with any questions or concerns you have about your privacy or this Privacy Code. If you have a question concerning Jaunt's Privacy Code, would like a copy, or if you have a complaint, please contact Client Services at:
590 King Street West, Suite 400
M5V 1M3 email@example.com
Client Services can successfully deal with many issues. If you prefer, or if after contacting Customer Service, your concerns or questions have not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact Torstar Corporation's Chief Privacy Officer in writing as follows:
Chief Privacy Officer
One Yonge Street, 6th floor
Fax: (416) 869-4183
Updated: August 1, 2012